Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Creating Abundance

Okay, so I’ve got to be honest here- money has been pretty tight around here lately. We’ve always had just enough in one way or another, but we never felt an abundance of it in our lives. As we evaluated our life and where we spent our time we soon realized that we were lacking in the spiritual department. Although we would call on God to help us, we weren’t giving back to Him.

My focus during my scripture study recently had been how following God’s commandments can bless us, and I found SO MANY scriptures that promise if we followed His commandments we would prosper in the land. So why weren’t we prospering? We were going to church like we should, and, well, I’d been reading my scriptures, and occasionally I’d get a couple days in a row…but it wasn’t consistent, it wasn’t persistent, and often times it wasn’t abundant.

This weekend I received the impression that I should be DOING MORE. If I wanted abundance of other things in my life, shouldn't I include an abundance of SPIRITUALITY in my life?

That hit me between the eyes.

So I started with making a plan for goals I had set- mainly, reading the Book of Mormon three times in a year. What? Yeah, I don’t know, it just popped into my head so I wrote it down.

Secondly, I began praying with more purpose and with a purpose in mind. After thanking God for what He has already given us, I told God what I wanted spiritually in my life right now and laid out my plan for how I wanted to achieve those goals.

Then I took action. I started reading eight pages of the Book of Mormon a day. I started including more uplifting things in my life- music, “I’m a Mormon” videos, things that bring happiness and positivity. I helped Devin create his own goals as well, and we tag teamed watching Lucy and doing scripture study. We started praying on our knees again instead of giving in to exhaustion and just praying in bed.

About two days later I was worried if we would have enough money to get to Salt Lake City to pick up a friend. I took time to calculate how much money we would be making within a two week time frame. I recalculated. I asked Devin to come over and listen as I listed things, to be sure I wasn’t adding in other things. Then he reminded me of a few things I’d forgotten!

After paying tithing we would have just shy of $700 in a two week time frame. All of our bills and more would be paid. I was dumbfounded.

I won’t say I have no idea how that happened- because I do. God did it. It was God.

This was an overwhelming testimony to me of how He watches, listens, and is waiting to bless us, to prosper us, as we take the initiative to do the things that will allow His abundance to flow into our lives.

Creating an abundance of God opens the doors for Him to create abundance in our lives. 

“…yea, he did observe to keep the statutes, and the judgments, and the commandments of God; and he did do that which was right in the sight of God continually; and he did walk after the ways of his father, insomuch that he did prosper in the land.” (Helaman 3:20)

“…because of the steadiness of the church they began to be exceedingly rich, having abundance of all things whatsoever they stood in need…” (Alma 1:29) 

“And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.” (Mosiah 2:41)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment